How long have you been cycling? 4 years.
What do you love about cycling?
- I love mixing adventure in my life as often as possible, and cycling is such a great way to do it. I can ride right from home and push myself as hard or as little as I want.
- I love the community and being able to share something we all love.
- I love that every second on my bike is productive as it contributes to positive short-term and long-term health.
- I love that I can become a sightseer of my own home and explore areas that I otherwise wouldn’t.
- I love the option for competition, which is a whole world of fun. I can push myself to the max and compete against others who share the same passion. It may seem intimidating at first, but it isn’t too bad.
- I love that it has a low impact on the environment: bikes can last a long time, riding doesn’t use fossil fuels or produce much waste, and cycling is a great alternative to driving.
- Lastly, when I’m on my bike, I’m happy. I think that’s true for a lot of people. It doesn’t matter if we’re riding a mile on a local street or hundreds of miles, cycling makes us happy.
How many miles a year do you typically ride? About 4,000 miles, including on a trainer.
Why did you join MVBC, and what have you enjoyed most? I joined to ride with others, and it has been great. Members have shown me so many new roads that I now love to ride.
What’s your favorite road to ride on*? State Route 171 through Frankfort Gorge!
What’s the best advice you have for a new rider? Get out and ride; it will make you happy. And ride with others!
*Tom’s favorite route: 33 miles.